Monday, April 14, 2014

A Geek of All Trades

When Eric asked me to contribute to this blog, I jumped at the chance.  I've always wanted to do something sports related that involved writing, so this presented a perfect opportunity for me.  He sent the invitation and I quickly accepted, forgetting that I had once - a long time ago - intended to do my own blog.  I had set everything up, but it had never come to fruition.  Which is why you see my name as "The Geek."  I thought about changing it, but soon realized that it still fits.  Being a geek is not exclusive to certain genres, such as science fiction, fantasy or anime - all three of which I love - but is merely a way of living out the things you are passionate about.  And I am passionate about sports.

My name is Josh.  I just recently turned 30, regrettably.  I was born and raised in and around Chicago, IL and am definitely a homer when it comes to my sports teams.  I love my Bears and Blackhawks, am a South Side fan, not a masochistic Cubs fan and I loved the Bulls when Jordan played.  I'm not a huge basketball fan, so I don't mind being called a fairweather Bulls fan.  It's true.  As far as college football, I bleed Maize and Blue!  Michigan Wolverines, the greatest college football program in history.  Football is definitely my top sport and I am most versed in that.  Hockey is a close second, so those are the two I will mostly focus on.  Here and there I may dabble in the others.

I got into fantasy sports 3 years ago and have never looked back.  It brings out my true geek.  The learning, the drafting, the competition, the smack talk, the statistics, I love it all.

As for me, personally, there isn't much to tell these days.  Working at Walgreens, albeit on an awesome midnight shift, and just trying to get by.  Sports offers me a release from the monotony of being an adult.  In my past, I did some acting, I played some sports, I served in the US Army, including a tour in Afghanistan.  That, as well as everything else, had its ups and downs, but I'm alive and I couldn't be more grateful to the men and women I served with.  They will never admit it, but they are heroes, every one of them.

I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but, at times, I can be mildly entertaining.  If you like rants about sports, I'm your guy!  Hope everyone enjoys what I have to say and I can't wait to talk to you all!  And a big thanks to Eric for the invite!  Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment